What is The Mission Continues?
Mission: The Mission Continues empowers veterans who are adjusting to life at home to find purpose through community impact.
But how do we talk about it? The Mission Continues is a national nonprofit organization that deploys veteran volunteers to make a positive impact in their communities.
Vision: We deploy veterans on new mission in their communities, so that their actions will inspire future generations to serve.
But how do we talk about it? We work hard. We lead. And we achieve transformational change that inspires future generations to serve.
What does The Mission Continues do?
The Mission Continues has Operations across the country that engage veteran volunteers to address critical challenges facing underserved communities like:
- Improving the community’s schools and education environment
- Increasing access to gardens and green spaces
- Improving community identity
- Veterans embed with local nonprofits that are working every day to make a difference.
- Teams of veterans also lead large-scale service projects to achieve transformational community change.
- A team of veteran volunteers mobilize in a single city for a week-long service effort, jumpstarting long-term impact.
Making an impact through Operations
Veterans participate in Operations by serving with The Mission Continues in several ways:
As a member of a service platoon taking on large-scale service missions.
- As an individual Mission Continues Fellow volunteering for six months with a local nonprofit.
As a volunteer in our annual mass deployment
- Service platoons are groups of veteran volunteers who undertake regular service missions that leverage their skills and leadership to make a positive impact.
- Mission Continues Fellows embed as a skilled volunteers with nonprofit partners for a period of six months and work toward personal and professional goals.
- Deployments mobilize veteran volunteers from across the country in a specific city for an intensive week-long service engagement, designed to jump-start a long-lasting transformation in an area of particularly high need.
What does a Service Platoon do?
The Mission Continues Service Platoons are teams of veteran-led volunteers committed to making an impact in the community and supporting one another through ongoing service and social events.
- Each platoon is a veteran-led team of volunteers
- Platoons are veteran-led but anyone can volunteer and join a platoon, regardless of military affiliation
- Platoons come together for ongoing service and social events
- Our service events support long-term operations in the city
- We partner with the experts in the community: local leaders and nonprofit partners
Describing The Mission Continues Fellowship Program
Through our Fellowship Program, The Mission Continues awards six-month community service fellowships to post-9/11 veterans.
The Mission Continues provides these veterans with practical tools for success. From a renewed sense of purpose to leadership within an action plan, veterans who join the team get the support it takes to reach their full potential.
Veterans serve for 20 hours a week at a local non-profit organization addressing key educational, environmental or social issues.
Each Fellow works to achieve two objectives at the conclusion of the fellowship: full-time employment or pursuit of higher education, and a permanent role of service.
Describing How People Can Get Involved:
- Go to www.missioncontinues.org for more information.
Serve. Serve as a Fellow, a Platoon Member, or serve alongside veterans at a Mission Continues Service Project in your community.
Invest. Every donation to The Mission Continues empowers veterans to serve their country in new ways.
Promote. Let your friends, neighbors and the veterans in your life know that there is a way for veterans to successfully reintegrate while at the same time building stronger communities.